Friday, February 2, 2007

day 1 - foccacia!

Since one of my stipulations for the month is to make sure our nutritional needs are taken care of, I've decided to post the recipes I use and their nutritional values. This will also be a really good tool for me to make sure that we're staying healthy. If we're not getting enough of something, I can always plan to add it in the next time I cook. I'm also going to track our weight. If we loose weight too quickly, I might end the experiment. I don't want to do any damage that might take month to repair...

Food intake for the day:

breakfast and lunch: mushroom foccacia
dinner: veggie stew and rice

Mushroom Foccacia (adapted and halved from williams sonoma baking)

The bread:
1 package dry yeast (2.5 tsp)
1/4 plus 2 tbl cup warm water (not hot, baby bottle temp...)
1 drizzle honey (i've had it for almost a year and it's almost gone...sniff - i guess I'll be getting the packets from starbucks now...)
1/4 cup olive oil (i buy it by the gallon!)
2.5 cups of flour
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tbl dry thyme

Topping:
2 tbl olive oil
5 garlic cloves - pressed
1 tsp red pepper flakes

Nutritional Information for the entire loaf:
Calories: 1822
Protein: 39.5
Fat: 85.9
Carbs: 238.8
Fiber: 4.4
Sodium: 16.9

Chad took a picture, I'll try and post it later. Next up, veggie stew on rice!

No comments: