Saturday, February 10, 2007

Day 9 - Black Beans and Rice

I actually didn't get to eat any of the blackbeans. If I had been smart, I would have put them in the crockpot that morning, then had them ready by the time we go home. Nope, so I made about 30 green bean tempura (chad ate half of them as a snack), and ate them with rice, sauce and sesame seeds.

Chad got the blackbeans. They needed to keep simmering for 30 minutes after I left for work, so I just gave him a time and told him to taste them before turning them off. He did and they turned out pretty well:

1/2 lb dried black beans (picked over for stones and soaked over night)
1 tbl butter
2 tbl olive oil
1/2 large onion - med dice
3 cloves pressed garlic
1 tbl cumin
1 tbl crused red pepper
2 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp cardamom
1 tbl salt
2 tbl liquid smoke (kinda smells like bacon ;)

Makes 6 servings. Per serving:
Calories: 313.25
Protein: 19.03
Fat: 3.5
Carbs: 52.57
Fiber: 21.03
Sodium: 1180.78

No comments: