Saturday, February 3, 2007

Day 2 - Chicken and Lentil soup for dinner! Yay!

Oh dinner, I'm soooo glad that you were able to get our protien and fiber intakes near or over 100% for the day. Soooo happy.

I love chicken and lentil soup. The way I make it yields 6 servings, so we'll be able to have it for 3 meals. Yay. I splurged and bought chicken. 2.5 lbs of chicken breast for $6 at HMart. Ouch, that hurt - three complete days of food. but since the recipe only took 5.5 ounces of that chicken, I still have 2.16 pounds to work with for upcoming meals. I think at least 1.5 lbs may have to go into the freezer on Sunday if I'm going to strech these birds (yes birds, there are at least 3 breasts, and I hope I'm not eating some kind of new, mutant chicken)

Anyway, here it goes:
1 cup rice
2 cups red lentils
5.5 ounces chicken breast
1/2 large onion, small dice
3 cups veggie stock (I drained some of the liquid from the veggie stew for stock)
water (there's no amount because you just keep adding it while cooking until the consistancy is right)
tumeric, cumin, salt, red pepper flakes, to taste


Nutrition, per serving:
Calories: 463.47
Protein: 29.77
Fat: 7.78
Carbs: 69.92
Fiber: 12.28
Sodium: 1058

I like to garnish mine with lime juice. but i don't feel like counting it in the totals. More later =)

No comments: